Mattermost 5.11 includes platform improvements that will help your team get more done in less time. Try these new features by downloading Mattermost 5.11 today. Since it includes security updates, upgrading is recommended.
Here’s what else is new in our world:
- A remote CLI tool – manage any remote server without being physically inside the server running your Mattermost instance thanks to a new tool called mmctl
- Features built by our community – find out about some incredible new features our open source community built during our most recent hackfest
- Mattermost Academy – hone your skills through our free new online training program that offers three learning paths designed to help you maximize your Mattermost experience
- Season of Docs – help improve the Mattermost open source project by contributing documentation through Google’s inaugural Season of Docs program
- New integrations – enjoy a more productive Mattermost experience by extending the platform with several new integrations designed to help your team work faster
Thanks for all community contributions this month and in particular our 5.11 MVP, Romain Maneschi, who built an analytics plugin that lets you see the most active users and most popular channels on your Mattermost instance, as well as a work-in-progress GitLab plugin. This brings his total lifetime contributions to Mattermost up to seven. Thanks so much, Romain!
A new CLI tool for managing remote servers
Now, it’s easier to manage remote servers even when you’re on the go thanks to a new CLI tool called mmctl that mimics the Mattermost CLI tool.
You can use mmctl to manage any remote server without having to physically be inside the server that’s running Mattermost (we recently moved our Mattermost instance from AWS to Kubernetes, so we love this tool). If you can access your server from your browser or your phone, you can also access it with mmctl.
Here are some additional benefits of mmctl:
- Manage multiple servers more easily with stored login credentials and the ability to switch between servers with ease
- Use your preferred method of authentication, with support for MFA and access tokens
- Post to Mattermost directly from the terminal or subscribe to a channel to get instant updates
- Quickly find and select commands with built-in autocompletion
It’s also backwards compatible with the Mattermost CLI for most commands. Head over to the repository to see which commands are currently supported, as well as which will be supported in the future.
Mattermost Hackfest 2019: a smashing success
Our most recent hackfest wrapped up a few weeks ago, and we couldn’t be more excited about how our community helped strengthen the Mattermost open source project.
Altogether, we received more than 85 contributions from 36 unique contributors. Huge thanks to everyone who participated in the event.
We’re happy to announce that William Gathoye was the “winner” of our hackfest, for working on an MSI installer for the Mattermost Windows Desktop App that will ship with v4.3.
For more hackfest highlights, read this.
Free online training at the Mattermost Academy
We strive to make Mattermost an intuitive workplace messaging platform that workers with all levels of technical prowess can use productively right away.
Still, mastering new platforms isn’t always easy. Sometimes, additional guidance can help speed up the learning curve.
To make your Mattermost experience as productive as possible as quickly as possible, we’ve launched the Mattermost Academy, our free online training program that includes three learning paths:
- End User Onboarding
- Mattermost Administration
- Mattermost Integrations
If you need a little extra help learning your way around Mattermost, we’ve got you covered.
For more information, check out this blog post.
Better yet, head over to the Mattermost Academy and start sharpening your skills today.
Are you a technical writer who wants to contribute to Mattermost?
Earlier this month, we announced the exciting news that Mattermost was one of 50 open source projects selected to participate in Google’s inaugural Season of Docs program, which is designed to highlight the importance of open source technology while raising awareness of the critical role docs and technical writers play in the success of open source projects.
Are you a technical writer who’s interested in helping improve the Mattermost project by working with our team to produce documentation? If so, we’d love to have you on board.
If you’re open to the idea, check out this blog post for more.
New integrations to enhance your Mattermost experience
Here are some new integrations you can use to extend Mattermost and help your team work better together:
- Kopano Web Meetings
- New Channel Notifier Plugin
- Spybot Plugin
- Remind Plugin
- Standup Raven
- NextBus Plugin
- Prometheus AlertManager Plugin
In case you missed it. . .
If it’s been a while since you’ve visited the Mattermost blog, here’s some content you might have missed:
- Developer’s alternative to Slack
- Why we love customer reviews at Mattermost
- New Integrations Directory enables your team to do better work, faster
Thank you to our contributors
aeomin, akrfjmt, ali-farooq0, amyblais, andresoro, asaadmahmood, BotKube, bradjcoughlin, bytemine GmbH, chikei, cometkim, comharris, CooperAtive, coreyhulen, courtneypattison, cpanato, cpoile, crspeller, csduarte, d28park, danmaas, deanwhillier, der-test, DHaussermann, DSchalla, enahum, esethna, fcorrea, gabrieljackson, gnufede, gruceqq, grundleborg, hanzei, happygaijin, harshilsharma, hectorskypl, Herzum, hmhealey, it33, jasonblais, jespino, jfrerich, johnbellone, johnthompson365, JVasky, jwilander, kaakaa, Kaya_Zeren, kingisaac95, kmandagie, kosgrz, Lena, levb, lfbrock, lieut-data, lindalumitchell, liusy182, ljmccaff, Mario-Hofstaetter, meilon, mgdelacroix, mickmister, migbot, mkraft, mlongo4290, MParvin, mstoli, ninanung, oliverJurgen, PeterDaveHello, prapti, reflog, rodcorsi, RyPoints, s4kh, sapnasivakumar, saturninoabril, scottleedavis, Sheshagiri, stylianosrigas, sudheerDev, svelle, tengis617, thekiiingbob, thePanz, thepill, therealpuneeth20, ThiefMaster, torgeirl, tylarb, ulhosting, wget, wiersgallak, z4cco
Install or upgrade Mattermost
Find help updating to the latest version of Mattermost here.
For more help on configuring Mattermost, please review our administrator’s guide.
Enterprise E10 and E20
Mattermost Enterprise E10 and E20 are commercial versions of Mattermost designed for today’s leading organizations. For more information on features and pricing, visit mattermost.com/pricing.
Need some help with configuration? Our Enterprise subscriptions include upgrade and installation support from Mattermost, Inc.