The Build is a newsletter for software engineers dedicated to sharing useful technical content on effective development and collaboration techniques. In each release, we’ll share what we’re reading this month, open source projects we’re inspired by, and more news from the DevOps community.
Read the August 2022 Build below, and subscribe to receive The Build every month right in your inbox.
What We Upvoted This Month
- Can software infrastructure organizations benefit from hiring product managers?
- Knowledge sharing can be a challenge, especially for distributed teams. If your team is struggling to capture and share information effectively, standardizing your notetaking practices can help!
- Developer tools and snazzy IDEs abound. But sometimes writing code with pencil and paper is the key to unblocking challenges.
- Great user documentation goes a long way toward helping users love your products. Check out the Sphinx extensions we use to improve the documentation experience.
- How Netflix designs internal tooling for developer productivity.
- Want more open source in your life? Learn how to evaluate OSS tools for your team.
Open Source Projects to Watch
- AI Reference Kits from Intel – 30+ kits including a conversational chatbot, visual quality control, document digitization, and asset health prediction
- Cemu – Nintendo Wii emulator for desktop computers
- MoonRay – Dreamworks’ MCRT renderer (open source later this year)
Overheard on the Community Server
Have you read The Platformer? Every week, Sr. Engineering Lead Zef Hemel shares updates about interesting technical challenges and successes from the Mattermost team and activities they engage in for open source Fridays. Join the channel today to read the latest installment.