Mattermost 5.12 is packed with new features designed to increase team productivity and improve your Mattermost experience:
- Infinite scrolling – read older posts without having to click the “Load more messages” button
- Bot accounts – create bot accounts for your integrations to more easily interact with users and complete tasks in Mattermost
- Deeper Jira integration – accelerate DevOps workflows with our new two-way Jira integration
- Extend Mattermost with plugins – unlock additional productivity gains with several pre-packaged plugins released with Mattermost 5.12
- System console optimization – enjoy a more logical flow to System Console settings
- AD/LDAP group sync removals (E20) – remove users from teams and channels automatically when they are removed from an associated group with a new experimental feature
- Faster search (E20) – enable Elasticsearch for autocompletion queries to find information faster
- Improved tablet layout – switch channels more quickly with an always-visible channel sidebar on tablet devices
- An easier way to send user feedback – respond to prompts for user feedback and help us improve Mattermost
Thanks for all community contributions this month and in particular our 5.12 MVP, Scott Lee Davis, who helped build a Remind plugin for Mattermost along with several improvements to bot accounts. This brings his total lifetime contributions to Mattermost up to 19. Thank you, Scott!
Find information quicker with infinite scrolling
You no longer have to click the “Load more messages” button to find older posts thanks to our new infinite scrolling feature. Older posts now load automatically as you scroll up, making your Mattermost experience that much more productive.
(Note: This feature is not supported on IE11.)
Create bot accounts to more easily integrate with Mattermost
Your team doesn’t have to create fake user accounts to act as bots for integrations anymore thanks to a new feature that enables you to create real bot accounts.
You can configure these bots to interact with users and complete tasks. They enable developers to create integrations that don’t require an email/password login or any other authentication method.
Additional benefits include:
- Bot accounts can post to any channel in the system, whether it’s a private team, private channel, or a Direct Message channel. Access for bot accounts is controlled by System Administrators.
- Integrations created by a user and tied to a bot account no longer break if the user leaves the company.
- Once created, bot accounts are available to everyone on your server and can be added to teams and channels just like any regular user.
For Enterprise deployments, bot accounts don’t count as active users for licensing purposes. To learn more about this feature, check out our docs.
Accelerate DevOps workflows with a deeper Jira integration
We’re happy to unveil our Jira 2.0 plugin, which serves as an upgrade to our existing plugin and allows for a much deeper two-way integration between Mattermost and Jira.
Here are some highlights:
- Send issue creation, issue updates, and comments directly to Mattermost channels
- Take quick actions in Mattermost—like creating Jira issues, attaching Mattermost messages to Jira issues, and transitioning issues from one state to the next via slash commands
For more information on our Jira 2.0 plugin—as well as a sneak peek of our Jira 2.1 plugin, which is slated to be released in August 2019—head over to GitHub.
Unlock additional Mattermost efficiencies with pre-packaged plugins
Mattermost 5.12 ships with several pre-packaged plugins your team can use to enjoy a more productive Mattermost experience, including:
- A GitHub plugin that sends notifications and reminders to help you stay up-to-date on issues and pull requests. This plugin works with GitHub’s SaaS and Enterprise versions.
- An Autolink plugin that automatically hyperlinks qualifying text (e.g., adding links to your issue tracker when someone posts an issue key or number).
- A Custom Attributes plugin that lets you add custom attributes in the user profile popover.
- A Welcome Bot plugin that improves onboarding and streamlines HR processes with a bot that helps add new team members to relevant channels.
- An Amazon SNS CloudWatch plugin that enables you to send alert notifications from Amazon AWS CloudWatch to Mattermost channels via AWS SNS.
Head over to our Integrations Directory to discover more ways to extend Mattermost.
Navigate a reorganized System Console to find settings faster
Mattermost 5.12 includes restructured information architecture of the System Console.
This reorganization provides a more logical flow for settings and makes it easier to hide features on the Mattermost Private Cloud product, where system admins shouldn’t have access to change configurations that affect the environment directly.
Check out the changelog for more.
Use groups to manage private teams and channels (E20)
Enterprise Edition E20 customers can now manage private team and channel membership via groups, eliminating the need to add and remove members on an individual basis thanks to a new AD/LDAP Group Sync removals experimental feature.
Now, users in groups are automatically removed from teams and channels when they are removed from an associated group, saving admins an extra step.
For more information, check out our docs.
Speed up search by enabling autocompletions in Elasticsearch (E20)
Enterprise Edition E20 customers can also configure Elasticsearch to use its indexed data for user and channel search queries and autocompletion queries thanks to a new setting accessible via System Console > Elasticsearch.
Thanks to this feature, your team can find the information they’re looking for faster.
Read our docs to learn more.
A more productive Mattermost experience on tablets
Our newest mobile app, v1.20, just shipped as well, and it’s filled with new features designed to increase productivity of Mattermost users when they’re out of the office.
Some improvements are as follows:
- Enjoy a more productive Mattermost experience on tablets thanks to a new feature that makes sure the channel sidebar remains open at a fixed width
- Read messages easier when you’re on the go by swiping down to dismiss the iOS keyboard when it’s open
Check out the changelog for more information.
Help improve Mattermost with user feedback surveys
This release includes the addition of user surveys that are designed to give users a way to share feedback more directly with the Mattermost team.
While we strongly appreciate feedback as it helps us improve the product, we also recognize some people prefer not to share information.
To that end, we’ve made it easy to disable the surveys. When surveys are scheduled, administrators are automatically notified, giving them the opportunity to turn the surveys off before they’re sent out. Surveys can also be disabled at any time from System Console > Plugins > Net Promoter Score.
For more information, head over to GitHub.
Thank you to our contributors
aeomin, adzimzf, amyblais, andresoro, asaadmahmood, bolariin, bradjcoughlin, carmo-evan, chahat-arora, chikei, cjohannsen81, cometkim, comharris, composednitin, CooperAtive, cpanato, cpoile, crspeller, d28park, danmaas, deanwhillier, der-test, DHaussermann, DSchalla, dustinkirkland, ejachang, enahum, esethna, evan-a-a, farhadab, fjaeger, gabrieljackson, GianOrtiz, giorgosdi, greensteve, gruceqq, grundleborg, gupsho, hanzei, hectorskypl, henrymori, hmhealey, icelander, iomodo, IshankGulati, it33, ivanaairenee, jasonblais, JerryFireman, jesperhansen17, jespino, jfrerich, jkl5616, johnthompson365, JtheBAB, jwilander, kaakaa, Kaya_Zeren, kkirsche, kosgrz, Lena, letsila, levb, lieut-data, lindalumitchell, lindy65, lisakycho, liusy182, marianunez, matshch, meilon, mgdelacroix, mickmister, migbot, MikeNicholls, mkraft, mlongo4290, pichouk, pradeepmurugesan, prapti, pravan, redg3ar, reflog, rodcorsi, rvillablanca, sapnasivakumar, saturninoabril, scottleedavis, seansackowitz, sebastien-prudhomme, sergeyzhukov, stylianosrigas, sudheerDev, svelle, tapaswenipathak, thekiiingbob, thePanz, therealpuneeth20, torgeirl, ulhosting, VolatianaYuliana, wget, wiersgallak, Wipeout55, z4cco
Install or upgrade Mattermost
Find help updating to the latest version of Mattermost here.
For more help on configuring Mattermost, please review our administrator’s guide.
Enterprise E10 and E20
Mattermost Enterprise E10 and E20 are commercial versions of Mattermost designed for today’s leading organizations. For more information on features and pricing, visit mattermost.com/pricing.
Need some help with configuration? Our Enterprise subscriptions include upgrade and installation support from Mattermost, Inc.