Hacktoberfest has become a tried-and-true tradition over the years, one that Mattermost has always been excited to be a part of. With 2020 being a year of surprises, twists, and turns, we expected nothing less from our current and future Community members when October arrived, and we were not disappointed.
Hacktoberfest 2020: More contributors and PRs than ever before
This year, we are proud to say we had over 150 contributors commit over 400 pull requests on all parts of the Mattermost ecosystem! This shows exponential growth since we began participating back in 2015. Take a look at the growth we’ve seen over the last six Hacktoberfests!
Some of the biggest contributions came in end-to-end tests written in areas with less than complete coverage, plugins and integrations, and, of course, documentation. Hacktoberfest 2020 definitely showed how important contributions beyond the code itself can be.
Notable pull requests from the Mattermost community
With over 3,000 users on the Mattermost Cloud workspace, it’s easy to see people were excited to participate and make Mattermost the best safe and secure communications tool in the world. Let’s take a look at some of the amazing pull requests from this Hacktoberfest.
- Autocomplete icon for Confluence plugin – adds support for the autocomplete-icon to be used as the user types the command when using the Confluence Plugin
- Autocomplete prompts for Google Calendar plugin – adds autocomplete prompts for the available subcommands and arguments when using the calendar slash command
- Update status for Zoom meetings – when a Zoom meeting is started by a user in Mattermost, their status is set to Do Not Disturb; when the meeting ends, the status is set to ONLINE
- In channel search – the keyboard shortcut CMD/Ctrl + Shift + F pre-fills the search box in the channel header
- Ukrainian spellchecker – adds spellcheck support for the Ukrainian language
- Autocomplete matching on mobile – allow user autocomplete to match on terms with spaces in the same way that it currently works in the webapp
- Online status in channel switcher – show the online status of a user in the channel switcher
- Addition of the Contributor Covenant – the addition of the Contributor Covenant to all of Mattermost’s repositories (for the global project)
Beyond Hacktoberfest: Contribute to the Mattermost all year long
We could not be more thrilled with the participation we’ve seen from our Community this Hacktoberfest. Of course, there is no need to limit participation to this event. As part of our dedication to open source, we are happy to accept PRs all year long!
Feel free to explore the Mattermost repositories and find something to hack on or grab some Help Wanted tickets and improve the ecosystem we all know and love. If you have submitted something during Hacktoberfest that has not yet been merged, please know our team has marked everything as “hacktoberfest accepted” and is still working through pull requests.
We look forward to seeing your new PRs and can’t wait to see what the next Community tools get built for Mattermost. For more information about how you can get involved with the Mattermost open source project, check this out.