Legal Terms & Policies
Mattermost Trademark Policy
Trademark Standards for Use
Mattermost, Inc. has invested resources in and uses the following trademarks to designate its goods and services: Mattermost.
Use of any Mattermost, Inc. trademark must be in accordance with this policy. Mattermost, Inc.’s trademark policy was created to ensure Mattermost, Inc.’s trademarks remain reliable indicators of the source and quality of Mattermost, Inc’s products and services. At the same time, this policy aims to create a framework through which community members, software distributors, hosting service providers and others can both discuss Mattermost, Inc.’s products and services, and accurately describe their affiliation with Mattermost, Inc.
The central requirement of Mattermost, Inc.’s trademark policy is that the use of Mattermost, Inc’s trademarks be non-confusing and non-disparaging. By non-confusing, we mean that it should always be clear to consumers who they are dealing with, where the software they are downloading came from if they download software, and how the software is being hosted if they are using a hosting service. Websites, software and hosting services not produced by or provided by Mattermost, Inc. must not imply (either directly or through omission) that they are produced by or provided by Mattermost, Inc. By non-disparaging, we mean that outside of the boundaries of fair use, our trademarks are not to be used in a way that defames us or detracts from our reputation.
This central requirement is reflected in the specific rules outlined below.
The Mattermost, Inc. trademarks will remain the sole property of Mattermost, Inc. All use and goodwill associated with the Mattermost, Inc. trademarks will inure to the benefit of Mattermost, Inc.
Services Related to Mattermost Products
If you offer on-line services related to Mattermost software to others, such as making the functionality of the Mattermost software available as a service, you may use Mattermost, Inc.’s trademarks in describing and advertising your services only as allowed in these Standards of Use.
The trust of our users is very important to us, and our trademarks embody that trust. Even though you are using the Software as the basis of your service, the manner in which you provide the service can alter how the Software operates, as well as reflect on the reputation of the Software. Therefore, you have no right to use our logo on your service unless you publicly state in writing that your Mattermost hosting services are operating in a compliant manner, and by including the following in an agreement to every customer and end user of your system (the “Mattermost Security and Privacy Pledge”):
Mattermost Security & Privacy Pledge:
- We are subscribed to the Mattermost Security Fix Alert mailing list and apply critical and high severity security releases within 2 days of their announcement, and any medium or low severity security updates within 15 days of their announcement.
- We abide by all the applicable data privacy laws in our geography and in the geographies of our end users, which may include, for example, the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) for the European Union, or the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) for California, USA.
- We comply with SOC 2, Trust Services Criteria, as promulgated by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), including its sections relating to privacy and security. https://www.aicpa.org/interestareas/frc/assuranceadvisoryservices/aicpasoc2report.html
- We comply with NIST Privacy Framework, including its sections relating to cybersecurity and privacy risk management. https://doi.org/10.6028/NIST.CSWP.01162020
- We will not use the data that you enter or upload into our Mattermost services except for the purpose of providing the service to you, and we will delete any such data upon termination of the service or otherwise upon your request.
You may do so by stating that you abide by the Mattermost Security & Privacy Pledge at https://mattermost.org/trademark-standards-of-use#mattermost-security-privacy-pledge
The requirements of the Mattermost Security & Privacy Pledge may change from time to time. We will post any such change at this location, and announce it on the Mattermost Security Fix Alert mailing list, at least 30 days prior to its effective date. To continue using our logo, you must abide by any updated requirements on or before their effective date.
If you do not meet these requirements you may make truthful statements about your service that do not use our logo, such as “This service is implemented using Mattermost software.” However, you must not do so in a way that implies we have evaluated or approved your service.
If you wish to discuss different arrangements with us, please contact us at: [email protected].
Standards for Use
All uses of Mattermost, Inc. trademarks must conform to the following:
- Prior to any use of any Mattermost, Inc. trademarks, you must submit the proposed use for Mattermost, Inc.’s prior written approval. Mattermost, Inc. may, in its sole discretion, approve or reject such use, and Mattermost, Inc. will notify you of the approval or rejection.
- You may use the Mattermost, Inc. trademarks only to identify and distinguish Mattermost, Inc. products and services. With respect to online services, this use must conform with the section above entitled Services Related to Mattermost Products. The Mattermost, Inc. trademarks may not be applied to products or services provided by anyone other than Mattermost, Inc., except as authorized in writing by Mattermost, Inc.
- Always use Mattermost, Inc. trademarks in an approved manner. You may not alter trademarks by abbreviation, by combining or hyphenating the trademark with another word, or through other means.
- You may use the Mattermost, Inc. trademarks only as adjectives and never as nouns or verbs. You may not use any Mattermost, Inc. trademark in possessive form.
- Mattermost, Inc. trademarks may only be used with the correct form of notice of registration. The correct notice to be used in association with trademarks depends on whether or not the mark is registered in the applicable jurisdiction. If it is not registered, the notice or the word “trademark” or the symbol “TM” or “SM” should be used in association with the trademark. If it is registered in the applicable jurisdiction, the ® should be used. These notices should be placed adjacent to the trademark and be given on all advertising materials, and on product labeling, computer screens, and other uses. Where a trademark is used more than once in a single display, the notice should be placed at the first or most prominent use of the trademark.
- Include a statement of ownership in the document in which the Mattermost, Inc. trademark is used. This attribution of ownership should take the form: “[TRADEMARK] is a trademark of Mattermost, Inc.”
- When you use a Mattermost, Inc. trademark in a non-stylized form, such as in the body of text of an advertisement, it must be set apart and distinguished from the other words in the text. In order to do this, the trademark should be rendered in boldface type, italics, all capital letters, set in quotation marks or underlined.
- Each representation of a Mattermost, Inc. trademark should be consistent, undistorted, and clear. The logo may not be used in a size so small that any design feature of the mark is lost. In general, this will mean that the logo must appear by itself, in a reasonable size, with reasonable spacing (at least the height of the logo) between each side of the logo and other graphic or textual element. The logo must appear in exactly the same spatial relationship as set forth in any graphic standards information provided by Mattermost, Inc.
- You may not use any Mattermost, Inc. trademark in any advertising or material in violation of any applicable law, ordinance or regulation of any country.
- You may not use any Mattermost, Inc. trademark in a misleading way.
- You may not use any Mattermost, Inc. trademark on or in connection with any defamatory, scandalous, pornographic or other objectionable materials of any sort.
- You may not use any Mattermost, Inc. trademark to disparage Mattermost, Inc. or its products or services, or in a manner which, in Mattermost, Inc.’s reasonable judgment, may diminish or otherwise damage Mattermost, Inc.’s goodwill in any Mattermost, Inc. trademark.
- You may not take any action that would in any way tarnish or dilute the value of the Mattermost, Inc. trademarks.
- You may not adopt, use or attempt to register with any agency in any jurisdiction the trademark “Mattermost”, or any trademark, trade name, service mark, logo or domain name consisting of, in whole or in part, the word “Mattermost” or any marks confusingly similar to any Mattermost, Inc. trademark.
- If you become aware of any infringement, actual or suspected, or any other unauthorized use of any Mattermost, Inc. trademark, you will promptly give notice to Mattermost, Inc. in writing, specifying the particulars of the unauthorized use.
- If, at any time, Mattermost, Inc. objects to your improper use of any Mattermost, Inc. trademark, you agree to take such steps as may be necessary to resolve Mattermost, Inc.’s objections.
You may not include any Mattermost, Inc. trademarks in a domain name controlled by you without the prior written consent of Mattermost.
If you’re considering a use of a Mattermost, Inc. trademark that falls outside the scope of this policy, or have any other questions, please contact us at: [email protected]